Everything tastes better when topped with whipped cream, doesn’t it? From beverages to desserts, it tastes well with every type of food.
However, the regular whipped creams don’t last for a long time. The cool whips are a better alternative as they can be used for an extended period of time. They come frozen and need to be defrosted before use.
That being said, you might think you can defrost the cool whips by just leaving it out of the freezer. It is not as straightforward as this.
If you incorrectly defrost the cool whip, you will ruin your dessert and the cream itself. So, it’s imperative to know how to defrost cool whip perfectly. Read ahead to know more!
What Is A Cool Whip?
To truly understand the defrosting process of cool whip, you must learn what cool whip is and its composition.
A cool whip is basically a stabilized whipped cream that comes frozen and needs to be thawed before using for toppings.
However, it tastes somewhat different from the conventional whipped cream. This is due to the fact that it contains a light cream of less than 2%.
Surprisingly, the main contents of cool whips are air and water. It also has some additional ingredients to make it taste better. These include cream, vegetable oils, skimmed milk, corn syrup, and more.
The cool whip can really be a time saver since you won’t need to manually whip this cream since doing that by your hand is tiresome and time-consuming.
How To Defrost Cool Whip In Different Ways?
To make your desserts taste better, knowing how to thaw cool whip the right way is necessary. It will not only make your food delicious but will also help you save some bucks by not ruining them.
There are multiple ways to defrost cool whip before using it. Let’s take a look at some of the most effective methods.
1. Defrosting In The Microwave
Microwaves are the best for fast and effective heating, aren’t they? Most of the multi-purpose microwave comes with a defrosting function with which you will be able to thaw the cool whip in the shortest time possible.
This method should be applied if you are in a rush since it will provide a perfectly defrosted cool whip in a matter of minutes with minimal effort.
Check out how you will be able to thaw the cool whip with the help of a microwave.
- Remove the lid of the cool whips’ can and place it in the microwave.
- Turn on the defrost settings of the microwave oven and turn it on for 30 seconds.
- After 30 seconds of heating, take the container out from the oven and smoothly stir it for a couple of seconds.
- Then, pop it back in the microwave, heat it for another half a minute, and give it a good stir afterward.
- Repeat the process until you get the cool whip fully defrosted. It will take you around 2 to 3 minutes, depending on the microwaves’ quality.
Defrosting with this method needs to be done with the utmost caution.
To prevent it from turning into yellow syrup instead of the smooth textured cream, you will have to take it out from the microwave oven after every 30 seconds and stir it.
Once you have defrosted the cool whip using a microwave oven, you won’t be able to change the texture by refreezing. So, you must take the amount of cool whip you need to defrost into a microwave-safe bowl rather than putting the whole container at once.
2. Defrosting In The Refrigerator
Refrigerators are the most common appliance in our household. Using a fridge for thawing is reasonably simple and doesn’t require any experience.
However, you should apply this process only when you have plenty of time to wait for the cool whip to get defrosted. Take a look at how defrosting is done with refrigerators.
- Firstly, take out the cool whip container from the freezer and place it into a refrigerator.
- Allow it to thaw in the refrigerator for around four to five hours.
- Scoop out your required amount from the container and place it back into the refrigerator.
Although this process is quite effective and doesn’t need much attention, you have to make sure that it doesn’t stay in the refrigerator overnight. Or else, the cool whip will again get frozen rather than defrosting.
3. Defrosting Using Cold Water
Using cold water to defrost a cool whip is the most effective DIY method. With this process, you will be able to defrost the whip effortlessly.
You will need a bowl that can fit the sealed container of the cool whip and cold water for this process.
- First, fill up the bowl with cold water and fill it up to a height at which the container will remain submerged.
- Place the sealed can of cool whip can under the water.
- Turn the container frequently and make sure that every part gets the same amount of temperature.
- Remove the container from the bowl after around 30 to 40 minutes, leave at room temperature for five minutes and then open it.
This defrosting method only works if the whole container of the cool whip is submerged into the cold water. Thus, ensure that you get a large-sized bowl and keep the can under the water by any means.
4. Thawing On The Counter Top
It is amongst the most effortless and straightforward processes to defrost cool whip. However, it doesn’t mean that you should leave it on your countertop for several hours. We recommend you to use this method only if you run out of all other options.
You have to follow a few simple steps to get the best outcome. Let’s have a look!
- Take the container of out of the freezer and don’t open its lid.
- Leave the container on the countertop at a room temperature of 32 degrees Celsius.
- After an hour or so, the cool whip will be wholly defrosted and ready to be applied as toppings.
Since cool whip comprises skimmed milk that can get spoiled if left in room temperatures above 40 degrees Celsius for more than two hours, you shouldn’t leave it unattended on the countertop for too long.
What Happens If The Cool Whip Is Defrosted Incorrectly?
Now that you know multiple effective ways of defrosting cool whip, you might be wondering what will happen if the cool whip isn’t adequately defrosted.
Since it is made of dairy products, the cool whip will go bad and release an unpleasant odor. It will turn out to be excessively watery. In such a case, beating it with an electric mixer won’t bring back its texture.
From cakes to doughnuts, cool whips can be used for topping in every type of dessert. Defrosting cool whip in the right process will provide a smooth textured cream and eventually enhance your desserts’ taste.
To make your desserts more delicious and help you understand how to defrost cool whip, we have gathered a few practical ideas to help you thaw the cream in the right way.
Hopefully, this article will help you defrost the cool whip with minimal effort and time and maintain the original texture and volume of the cream.